If you've been following this site for awhile, you're aware that I had some rough times last year looking for a job. Things are a bit better for me now, but one of the reasons I had trouble finding a job is because for the most part, I'm terrible at job interviews. I have a hard time selling myself, and I didn't want to say the wrong thing to ever jeopardize my chances at getting a gig.
I hoped to not make the same mistakes earlier this week, as I was summoned for jury duty for the first time in my life. Sadly enough, I may have been the first person in the history of the world that wanted to serve on a jury. It wasn't so much that I wanted to be a part of the judicial process, it was more or less that I just really didn't feel like going to work that day.
As most of you know, a jury is made up of twelve people, yet when I got to the courthouse on Monday morning I was in a room with 27 others. What happens is that they stick twenty of you in the jury box and have eight people serve as alternates right away if one of the people in the box are dismissed. Now you may be familiar with some people and their tactics of being thrown off of the jury - claiming they are racist, etc... - and some people did that this particular morning. The case we were going to serve on was a drunk driving case, and one person next to me decided to say that he was sympathetic toward drunk drivers, while another claimed to believe that cops liked to pull people over unjustly. Both of these gentlemen were of course thrown off of the jury.
I on the other hand wanted to take the approach of not saying a single word during the jury question and answer part. I figured that if I didn't talk, I wouldn't shoot myself in the foot and they would keep me on the jury. The judge and defense attorney asked questions that I should have easily answered, such as "Do you go to the bar more than once a week?", but I decided to go ahead with the vow of silence. I thought for sure I'd be calling my work in a few minutes and telling them to go on without me.
After the question and answer portion, the district attorney and defense lawyer kept passing back and forth a sheet that had the twenty candidates names on it, and crossed a few out as if they were in a fantasy draft. I figured since I had not spoken, I was assured to be seen as someone impartial to the case, and would have made a good fit for the jury. But what I soon realized is that by not saying anything, neither of the sides would want me as I did nothing for their position. Both sides presumably viewed me as someone with nothing to offer, and I was kicked off of the jury.
It was a little heartbreaking to be rejected - once again - for something that I wanted. I wanted so badly to be a part of this process that what I ended up doing was taking a back seat to the whole thing. I self-consciously fell back into my reporter shoes from my days on television, watching and taking in the whole thing instead of being a part of the process. That's ultimately what cost me a spot on that bench, and ultimately what forced me to go back to my job for the rest of the day.
It wasn't all bad though, I still received twenty dollars for my efforts, which consisted of me speaking literally zero words the entire morning. Plus, I'm already scheduled to go back twice more this month, maybe more. Somehow, getting paid to not be at the job I worked so hard to finally get is more rewarding to me than being at that job in the first place.
And oh yeah, Jeff Suppan sucks.
This premier free sports picks service has sports picks & odds providing tools like; annual NFL Superbowl Odds and NCAA Football BCS Championship Odds list. They'll even golf Masters odds & even Nascar TV Schedule and info...They offer a complete March Madness Bracket Contest list...even VIP sportsbook 100% bonus codes at #1 books; 5Dimes, Bovada & even a WagerWeb 200% Bonus.
"Check us out for all your NFL betting online picks and predictions at the best online sports betting Canada and USA sportsbooks including a new Bovada review for bettors from the USA."
I highly recommend checking out NFL Predictions and out Free College Football Picks from the legendary National Sports Advisors as well as updated daily NFL Odds and College Football Odds this football season. NSAwins.com posts updated 2013 Super Bowl Futures Odds and Super Bowl Betting Props in addition to BCS Championship Odds and College Bowl Odds throughout the season. Also be sure to get Free NFL Picks and the best Sportsbook Reviews daily from NSAwins.com.
Find Bucks NBA tickets, Milwaukee Brewer game schedule and Packers NFL games. We also sell Wimbledon debenture tickets, Belmont Stakes Triple Crown packages, tickets for the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes tickets and Shane Mosley vs. Paulie Malignaggi at the Barclays Center.
Buy Milwaukee Bucks tickets, Green Bay Packers tickets, Wisconsin Badgers tickets and Milwaukee Brewers Tickets from a trusted source.
- ► 2012 (18)
- ► 2011 (485)
- Changes May Be Coming to Lambeau
- Watch Jeff Suppan Cheat Death Again
- It's Macha's Turn to Be Criticized
- Do the Admirable Thing, Jeff Suppan. Quit.
- U.S. Knocks Off Turkey in Tune-Up
- Corey Hart is On Fire
- Farewell (Again), Claudio Vargas
- Desmond Howard Has a Good Life
- Gallardo Goes Complete, Cappy Called Up
- Bucks Survivor: Round Seven
- Bucks. It's Whats for Dinner.
- Sampson the Next Cavs Coach?
- Weeks Walks Brewers to Victory
- My Q&A With Pocket Doppler
- Bucky Does a Podcast
- MacGruber > Watching Brewers Lose to Houston
- Season Likely Over For Zaunbie Nation
- The Squad is Set
- We've Got a Winning Streak!
- U.S. Falls to Czech, Roster Cuts to Come
- Bucks Survivor: Round Six
- Braun, Brewers Earning All-Star Votes
- Gulp... We're on Twitter
- Let's Hope This is The Turnaround
- Here Comes The End
- WWE Predictions: Over The Limit
- Time to Start Getting Excited for the World Cup
- It's Finally Over
- Random YouTube Video
- Look at These Things!
- Unhappy Birthday
- Jennings on Lopez Tonight
- Bucks Survivor: Round Five
- Things Are Somehow Getting Worse
- Lottery Goes on Without Bucks
- Bucks Check Out Hughes
- Farewell, Youssoupha Mbao
- At Least We Didn't Lose at Home Again
- Parra Gets the Start
- Rock Bottom Came Early This Season
- They Lost Again
- Bucks Survivor: Round Four
- The Hits Keep Coming... Off Brewers Pitching
- Hawks Won't Resign Mike Woodson
- Iron on NFL Network Tonight
- LeBron James is a Quitter
- Chris Capuano's Line
- Royals Doomed For Years of Disappointment
- America's 30-Man World Cup Roster
- Big Ten / ACC Challenge Set
- Quick Congrats to the Gamblers
- Milwaukee is Home Again for Braves
- Cushing Retains His ROY Honor
- Bucks Survivor: Round Three
- Braves Dominate Brewers, Again
- Capuano Heads to Nashville
- Young Money on Rome is Burning
- Brewers Struggle Again at Home
- Another Chance for Clay
- Milwaukee Gets the Sweep
- Gerut Hits for Cycle
- Wild, Wild West
- Bucks Suvivor: Round Two
- Hawkins Ruined My Buzz
- Good News About Bogut
- In Case You Missed It...
- NHL Playoff Update, Wisconsin Style
- I Can't Even Get Hired for Jury Duty
- Greg Jennings Breaking into Primetime
- Here's a Borderline Post
- Brewers Continue to Play Streakiest Baseball Ever
- Bucks Survivor: Season Three
- Padres Blank Brewers, Again
- Seasons Over
- Gallardo Does it All
- 22 and Counting...
- ▼ May (77)
- ► 2009 (827)
- ► 2008 (1098)
Yardbarker - Packers
Yardbarker - Brewers
Yardbarker - Bucks
This site is not affiliated with, nor endorsed or sponsored by, the University of Wisconsin.
Visit Sunshine Sportsbook
Contact The Bucky Channel
Sports Betting - Find very competitive odds and an impressive array of live betting. Online Sports Betting