Wednesday, June 2, 2010 by Gweedo ·
Jim Joyce may have made the worst call in the history of baseball on Wednesday night, and that is an understatement. Detroit's Armando Galarraga threw a perfect game Wednesday, only to have Jim Joyce take that away from him because of a terrible call. With two outs in the ninth inning, Cleveland's Jason Donald hit a slow roller to Miguel Cabrera, who threw it to Galarraga who in turn touched the base a step and a half in front of Donald. Somehow though Donald was called safe on the play, and Galarraga only ended up with a complete game shutout instead of the 21st perfect game in MLB history, which would have been the third this season.
You have to give all the credit in the world though to Galarraga, as he didn't freak out after the horrendous call. He just said you have to be kidding me, and recorded the last out of the game. After the game he talked about what pitches were working for him, and how his fielders played very well. I can't say I would have reacted the same way he did.
But it shouldn't have had to be that way, because the MLB needs some sort of instant replay for reasons just like this one. All humans make mistakes, but when they are this bad there has to be rectification. I think replay works well for the NFL, as well as in the NBA for buzzer beaters. Baseball only uses instant replay for home runs, but after what happened Wednesday night it needs to be used more often. I know baseball games are long already, but it just isn't fair for these players to put everything they have into a game and get screwed over by a bad call. How hard can it be to pay another umpire to sit in a booth, and figure out what the right call is. You see too many times when managers come out to argue a call which delays the game, why not instead delay the game for a productive reason?
I just can't agree when a guy works his ass off for 8 2/3 innings, only to have everything he did just be another game. When players go down in history they earn what they did. Wednesday night Armando Galarraga will go down in history for having a perfect game taken away from him on just an awful call. It just seems that this season you see a lot more players getting thrown out, and umpires are missing more and more calls. I'm I saying that I don't respect what umpires do, no, what I'm saying is they shouldn't decide who wins the game. People make mistakes, so having a replay wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.
Also if you didn't see the ninth inning of this game you have to try and watch it. Austin Jackson made an awesome catch for the first out in the inning. So congratulations to Armando Galarraga for throwing a perfect game in his career, even if it never goes down in the record book. Jim Joyce is a great umpire, but Wednesday night he made a bad call that he will feel bad about forever.
(Sidenote - In Game 3 of the NHL finals the Flyers second goal wasn't counted until it was reviewed upstairs. Not saying that I'm always right, but this just helps my point even more. Sports today are just getting too fast for the human eye.)
Winks Edit: Well said, Gweeds, but I think you might even have to be more harsh to Jim Joyce. If Joyce felt bad about his call, then he should have reversed it when he had the chance. I have no idea what compelled this guy to call the runner safe when he was clearly not, but I think overall umpires are trying to be the story instead of be in the background. When we know the umpires by name, that's a bad thing, and I've heard of Jim Joyce before which means that somewhere prior he already made a name for himself. Keep your face under the mask and don't make me learn your name, umpires. And don't screw kids out of perfect games because you are too proud to admit an error in the moment. I don't care what Joyce said after the game, that call was unforgivable.)
This premier free sports picks service has sports picks & odds providing tools like; annual NFL Superbowl Odds and NCAA Football BCS Championship Odds list. They'll even golf Masters odds & even Nascar TV Schedule and info...They offer a complete March Madness Bracket Contest list...even VIP sportsbook 100% bonus codes at #1 books; 5Dimes, Bovada & even a WagerWeb 200% Bonus.
"Check us out for all your NFL betting online picks and predictions at the best online sports betting Canada and USA sportsbooks including a new Bovada review for bettors from the USA."
I highly recommend checking out NFL Predictions and out Free College Football Picks from the legendary National Sports Advisors as well as updated daily NFL Odds and College Football Odds this football season. NSAwins.com posts updated 2013 Super Bowl Futures Odds and Super Bowl Betting Props in addition to BCS Championship Odds and College Bowl Odds throughout the season. Also be sure to get Free NFL Picks and the best Sportsbook Reviews daily from NSAwins.com.
Find Bucks NBA tickets, Milwaukee Brewer game schedule and Packers NFL games. We also sell Wimbledon debenture tickets, Belmont Stakes Triple Crown packages, tickets for the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes tickets and Shane Mosley vs. Paulie Malignaggi at the Barclays Center.
Buy Milwaukee Bucks tickets, Green Bay Packers tickets, Wisconsin Badgers tickets and Milwaukee Brewers Tickets from a trusted source.
- ► 2012 (18)
- ► 2011 (485)
- Brandon Jennings Wins Bucks Survivor
- Another Loss We Can't Really Afford
- King James Coming to The Bucks?
- How "LOST" Should Have Ended
- Brewers Power Back Against Houston
- World Cup Thoughts: Tuesday, June 29th
- Another Reason to Love Brandon Jennings
- Sabres Offseason News
- World Cup Predictions: Tuesday, June 29th
- Nothing Like Making the Astros Look Good
- World Cup Thoughts: Monday, June 28th
- Bucks Putting Together Summer Roster
- How Long Does Donovan Stay in the MLS?
- World Cup Predictions: Monday, June 28th
- Narveson Caps Off Strong Week For Milwaukee
- World Cup Thoughts: Sunday, June 27th
- Look At That, People Do Watch Soccer After All
- World Cup Predictions: Sunday, June 27th
- Streak Ends for Brewers
- This Is Why I Don't Believe in Anything
- World Cup Predictions: Saturday, June 26th
- Gimme Five
- World Cup Thoughts: Friday, June 25th
- Jerome Jordan Didn't Last Long
- World Cup Predictions: Friday, June 25th
- Bucks Go Big in Draft
- Yovani Gallardo Is a Good Baseball Player
- World Cup Thoughts: Thursday, June 24th
- Did Thompson Do it Again?
- Is Milwaukee Putting a Run Together?
- World Cup Predictions: Thursday, June 24th
- Agony, Turned to Ecstasy
- Bucks Get Douglas Roberts From Nets
- World Cup Predictions: Wednesday, June 23rd
- Narveson Recovers From Shaky First
- World Cup Thoughts: Tuesday, June 22nd
- Bucks Acquire Maggette
- World Cup Predictions: Tuesday, June 22nd
- This Might Make Your Ears Bleed
- World Cup Thoughts: Monday, June 21st
- Graeme Fashion
- World Cup Predictions: Monday, June 21st
- World Cup Thoughts: June 19th and 20th
- I'm Slowly Losing Interest in the Brewers
- World Cup Predictions: Sunday, June 20th
- World Cup Predictions: Saturday, June 19th
- Rockies Blank Brewers
- Comeback, Then Controversy
- Lakers Win Title, Again.
- Erin Hills to Host 2017 U.S. Open
- World Cup Predictions: Friday, June 18th
- I Need Your Help, I Want to Quit Wrestling
- Offseason Packers News
- World Cup Running Diary: Thursday, June 17th
- World Cup Predictions: Thursday, June 17th
- World Cup Thoughts: Wednesday, June 16th
- Angels Prevent Brewers From Sweep
- Bucks Survivor Problem
- Any Chance Hewyard Doesn't Pass Braun?
- Brewers Showing Unexpected Competitiveness
- Bucks News?
- World Cup Predictions: Wednesday, June 16th
- World Cup Thoughts: Tuesday, June 15th
- Happy Birthday Dad
- Announcement: Thursday Column
- World Cup Predictions: Tuesday, June 15th
- A Game Worth Staying Up For
- World Cup Thoughts: Monday, June 14th
- USA vs. England, the Lego Version
- World Cup Predictions: Monday, June 14th
- World Cup Thoughts: Sunday, June 13th
- Prince Fielder is the Player of the Game!
- The Improbable Tie
- World Cup Thoughts: Saturday, June 12th
- Brewers Unable to Convert Chances Against Texas
- USA 1, England 1
- World Cup Predictions: Saturday, June 12th
- World Cup Thoughts: Friday, June 11th
- Power Delivers Crew over Rangers
- Bucks Survivor: Round Eleven
- World Cup Predictions: Friday, June 11th
- Stay Tuned For Tons of World Cup Coverage
- Gomez Doesn't Stop Running Towards Victory
- Suppan Back to the Redbirds
- Bucks Becoming a Real NBA Team
- Brewers Stop Their Own Momentum
- Thoughts on Nebraska to the Big Ten
- Heyward Catching Braun in All-Star Race
- McGehee Squeezes One Through the Infield... FTW!
- Bucks Survivor: Round Ten
- Brewers Continue to Build for (Near?) Future
- Brewers Select Dylan Covey
- The Nightmare is Finally Over
- Brewers Salvage Sunday, Drop Series to Cards
- While We're Getting Hammered at a Wedding, Here's ...
- Bucks Survivor: Round Nine
- Capuano's Return Doesn't Spark Brewers
- Braun Still Leading NL Outfielders in Fan Voting
- If Only We Had Five Yovani Gallardos
- Baseball Needs Instant Replay, Immediately
- Bucks Survivor: Round Eight
- Running Out of Ways to Describe Losses
- Ahman Green to the UFL?
- ▼ June (103)
- ► 2009 (827)
- ► 2008 (1098)
Yardbarker - Packers
Yardbarker - Brewers
Yardbarker - Bucks
This site is not affiliated with, nor endorsed or sponsored by, the University of Wisconsin.
Visit Sunshine Sportsbook
Contact The Bucky Channel
Sports Betting - Find very competitive odds and an impressive array of live betting. Online Sports Betting