On a night where the debut of Stephen Strasburg dominated the headlines, there was a pretty spectacular pitching duel going on right in our own backyard. The Cubs' Ted Lilly brought his A-game to Miller Park against our only capable starting pitcher Yovani Gallardo, and together they kept the game scoreless through seven innings. It wasn't until the top of the eighth inning when the Cubs finally struck first, and we had ourselves a ballgame.
Tuesday, June 8, 2010 by Winks ·
With two outs and Carlos Villanueva on the mound, Chicago's Tyler Colvin hit a single to right field that would score Kosuke Fukudome and put the Cubs up 1-0. Right away, you got the feeling that this would be another depressing Brewers loss, but with the first pitch in the bottom half of that inning Corey Hart stroked one into the seats over left field, and the game was tied 1-1.
Just like that though, Chicago would come back and steal a run off of John Axford after Alfonso Soriano grounded out to Escobar. The ball wasn't hit sharply enough to give Escobar a play at home plate, so Koyie Hill was able to score and the Brewers were down by a run again. Like the inning prior, it was hard not to think that this would be another heartbreaking loss for Milwaukee.
But in the bottom of the ninth, Rickie Weeks was able to get on when he was hit by a pitch. He eventually moved over by stealing second base, with no thanks to Carlos Gomez who hit a pop up in front of home plate when trying to bunt. Real clutch there, Gomez. Fielder then drew a walk, and Braun moved them both over by grounding out. At that point, there were two outs with runners at 2nd and 3rd, and Casey McGehee was at the plate.
McGehee has been one of our bright spots this season, but he has been cold of late and was hitless in Tuesday's game coming up to this at-bat. But McGehee poked one past the pitchers mound and over second base, hitting it in the most perfect of ways that it would get through the infield but also score two runs - Weeks from third, and Prince from second. A walk-off win that went the Brewers way? It happened, and the Brewers won 3-2.
It was a much needed win that keeps our depression about the Brewers away for another day, but ultimately this one all came down to the pitching. Yovani Gallardo is pitching better now than he ever has in his life, and Tuesday he went seven innings giving up just four hits. He also struck out seven batters over the course of those seven innings, and looked very sharp overall. McGehee is the hero, but the Player of the Game nod goes to Gallardo for another solid pitching performance.
Game two of this series is Wednesday night at 7:05, airing on both FSN Wisconsin and ESPN (subject to blackout). Randy Wolf is scheduled to get the start against Carlos Zambrano. I guess it'd be wise not to expect another pitchers' duel, at least not on our end.
This premier free sports picks service has sports picks & odds providing tools like; annual NFL Superbowl Odds and NCAA Football BCS Championship Odds list. They'll even golf Masters odds & even Nascar TV Schedule and info...They offer a complete March Madness Bracket Contest list...even VIP sportsbook 100% bonus codes at #1 books; 5Dimes, Bovada & even a WagerWeb 200% Bonus.
"Check us out for all your NFL betting online picks and predictions at the best online sports betting Canada and USA sportsbooks including a new Bovada review for bettors from the USA."
I highly recommend checking out NFL Predictions and out Free College Football Picks from the legendary National Sports Advisors as well as updated daily NFL Odds and College Football Odds this football season. NSAwins.com posts updated 2013 Super Bowl Futures Odds and Super Bowl Betting Props in addition to BCS Championship Odds and College Bowl Odds throughout the season. Also be sure to get Free NFL Picks and the best Sportsbook Reviews daily from NSAwins.com.
Find Bucks NBA tickets, Milwaukee Brewer game schedule and Packers NFL games. We also sell Wimbledon debenture tickets, Belmont Stakes Triple Crown packages, tickets for the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes tickets and Shane Mosley vs. Paulie Malignaggi at the Barclays Center.
Buy Milwaukee Bucks tickets, Green Bay Packers tickets, Wisconsin Badgers tickets and Milwaukee Brewers Tickets from a trusted source.
- ► 2012 (18)
- ► 2011 (485)
- Brandon Jennings Wins Bucks Survivor
- Another Loss We Can't Really Afford
- King James Coming to The Bucks?
- How "LOST" Should Have Ended
- Brewers Power Back Against Houston
- World Cup Thoughts: Tuesday, June 29th
- Another Reason to Love Brandon Jennings
- Sabres Offseason News
- World Cup Predictions: Tuesday, June 29th
- Nothing Like Making the Astros Look Good
- World Cup Thoughts: Monday, June 28th
- Bucks Putting Together Summer Roster
- How Long Does Donovan Stay in the MLS?
- World Cup Predictions: Monday, June 28th
- Narveson Caps Off Strong Week For Milwaukee
- World Cup Thoughts: Sunday, June 27th
- Look At That, People Do Watch Soccer After All
- World Cup Predictions: Sunday, June 27th
- Streak Ends for Brewers
- This Is Why I Don't Believe in Anything
- World Cup Predictions: Saturday, June 26th
- Gimme Five
- World Cup Thoughts: Friday, June 25th
- Jerome Jordan Didn't Last Long
- World Cup Predictions: Friday, June 25th
- Bucks Go Big in Draft
- Yovani Gallardo Is a Good Baseball Player
- World Cup Thoughts: Thursday, June 24th
- Did Thompson Do it Again?
- Is Milwaukee Putting a Run Together?
- World Cup Predictions: Thursday, June 24th
- Agony, Turned to Ecstasy
- Bucks Get Douglas Roberts From Nets
- World Cup Predictions: Wednesday, June 23rd
- Narveson Recovers From Shaky First
- World Cup Thoughts: Tuesday, June 22nd
- Bucks Acquire Maggette
- World Cup Predictions: Tuesday, June 22nd
- This Might Make Your Ears Bleed
- World Cup Thoughts: Monday, June 21st
- Graeme Fashion
- World Cup Predictions: Monday, June 21st
- World Cup Thoughts: June 19th and 20th
- I'm Slowly Losing Interest in the Brewers
- World Cup Predictions: Sunday, June 20th
- World Cup Predictions: Saturday, June 19th
- Rockies Blank Brewers
- Comeback, Then Controversy
- Lakers Win Title, Again.
- Erin Hills to Host 2017 U.S. Open
- World Cup Predictions: Friday, June 18th
- I Need Your Help, I Want to Quit Wrestling
- Offseason Packers News
- World Cup Running Diary: Thursday, June 17th
- World Cup Predictions: Thursday, June 17th
- World Cup Thoughts: Wednesday, June 16th
- Angels Prevent Brewers From Sweep
- Bucks Survivor Problem
- Any Chance Hewyard Doesn't Pass Braun?
- Brewers Showing Unexpected Competitiveness
- Bucks News?
- World Cup Predictions: Wednesday, June 16th
- World Cup Thoughts: Tuesday, June 15th
- Happy Birthday Dad
- Announcement: Thursday Column
- World Cup Predictions: Tuesday, June 15th
- A Game Worth Staying Up For
- World Cup Thoughts: Monday, June 14th
- USA vs. England, the Lego Version
- World Cup Predictions: Monday, June 14th
- World Cup Thoughts: Sunday, June 13th
- Prince Fielder is the Player of the Game!
- The Improbable Tie
- World Cup Thoughts: Saturday, June 12th
- Brewers Unable to Convert Chances Against Texas
- USA 1, England 1
- World Cup Predictions: Saturday, June 12th
- World Cup Thoughts: Friday, June 11th
- Power Delivers Crew over Rangers
- Bucks Survivor: Round Eleven
- World Cup Predictions: Friday, June 11th
- Stay Tuned For Tons of World Cup Coverage
- Gomez Doesn't Stop Running Towards Victory
- Suppan Back to the Redbirds
- Bucks Becoming a Real NBA Team
- Brewers Stop Their Own Momentum
- Thoughts on Nebraska to the Big Ten
- Heyward Catching Braun in All-Star Race
- McGehee Squeezes One Through the Infield... FTW!
- Bucks Survivor: Round Ten
- Brewers Continue to Build for (Near?) Future
- Brewers Select Dylan Covey
- The Nightmare is Finally Over
- Brewers Salvage Sunday, Drop Series to Cards
- While We're Getting Hammered at a Wedding, Here's ...
- Bucks Survivor: Round Nine
- Capuano's Return Doesn't Spark Brewers
- Braun Still Leading NL Outfielders in Fan Voting
- If Only We Had Five Yovani Gallardos
- Baseball Needs Instant Replay, Immediately
- Bucks Survivor: Round Eight
- Running Out of Ways to Describe Losses
- Ahman Green to the UFL?
- ▼ June (103)
- ► 2009 (827)
- ► 2008 (1098)
Yardbarker - Packers
Yardbarker - Brewers
Yardbarker - Bucks
This site is not affiliated with, nor endorsed or sponsored by, the University of Wisconsin.
Visit Sunshine Sportsbook
Contact The Bucky Channel
Sports Betting - Find very competitive odds and an impressive array of live betting. Online Sports Betting