The 2010 World Cup final will not be a game that will be shown to young students who are trying to learn just how beautiful of a game soccer can be, because this was not soccer at it's finest. But at the end of the 120 minutes that were played, it was a game that if nothing else decided a winner. To me, soccer really isn't a game that you can just watch for five minutes of and get a true idea of what's going on. You can flip on a baseball game and watch an inning or two, you can watch a couple of drives during a football game, but soccer is more of a story. To appreciate what you've just witnessed when you watch soccer, you have to watch the full affair.
Sunday, July 11, 2010 by Winks ·
This was a game where Spain overcame a relentless attack from the Netherlands, as the Dutch seemed to take on the role of "beast" over that of "beauty". We ended up seeing thirteen yellow cards given, one which turned out to be a double yellow card (which equals a red), and eight of those went to the Netherlands. Of course, Spain played quite ugly at times as well, but the Netherlands will also be painted as the more vicious team in this game mainly because of a literal drop kick that was performed in the 28th minute by a Dutch defender.
In terms of non-violent excitement, this game really didn't pick up until midway until the second half when the game did start to open up a bit. Both teams ended up having some real solid chances, including 1-on-1 opportunities that were missed by both sides. But neither team could find the net in regular time, and an extra thirty minutes were tacked on. It really did seem like penalty kicks where inevitable until in the 116th minute when Cesc Fabregas intercepted a Netherlands clearance and promptly found Andres Iniesta. Iniesta put just enough heat on the ball so that Stekelenberg, the Dutch keeper, wouldn't be able to deflect it, and Spain found themselves World Cup champions for the first time (and they are also the new unofficial world football champions, let's not forget that!)
Without question, Spain has been the world's best team since the last World Cup, and the victory in this tournament was deserved. They only managed to score eight goals in seven games, but that proved more than enough. Spain becomes the first European team to win a World Cup away from European soil, as well as the first team to win a Cup after losing their first game. Other teams may have been more flashy, but Spain was the best side in this tournament and now have been rewarded as such.
Honestly, this World Cup seems like it went a lot faster than other ones I've remembered. It does seem, at least in the country, that there were two World Cups. One that included the Americans, and one that happened after we were eliminated. I'm going to remember this Cup as the time where the Americans had a captivating run but ultimately were eliminated a lot quicker than they could have been. As we've talked about, this was our best chance to really go far in a World Cup since ever, and we weren't able to come through. I am excited though to watch this team mold together in the next four years and see what we can come up with. Start making travel arraignments to Brazil now my friends.
Casillas is Spain's Most Valuable Player (ESPN.com)
Forlan Wins Golden Ball as Awards are Handed Out (Soccer By Ives)
This premier free sports picks service has sports picks & odds providing tools like; annual NFL Superbowl Odds and NCAA Football BCS Championship Odds list. They'll even golf Masters odds & even Nascar TV Schedule and info...They offer a complete March Madness Bracket Contest list...even VIP sportsbook 100% bonus codes at #1 books; 5Dimes, Bovada & even a WagerWeb 200% Bonus.
"Check us out for all your NFL betting online picks and predictions at the best online sports betting Canada and USA sportsbooks including a new Bovada review for bettors from the USA."
I highly recommend checking out NFL Predictions and out Free College Football Picks from the legendary National Sports Advisors as well as updated daily NFL Odds and College Football Odds this football season. NSAwins.com posts updated 2013 Super Bowl Futures Odds and Super Bowl Betting Props in addition to BCS Championship Odds and College Bowl Odds throughout the season. Also be sure to get Free NFL Picks and the best Sportsbook Reviews daily from NSAwins.com.
Find Bucks NBA tickets, Milwaukee Brewer game schedule and Packers NFL games. We also sell Wimbledon debenture tickets, Belmont Stakes Triple Crown packages, tickets for the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes tickets and Shane Mosley vs. Paulie Malignaggi at the Barclays Center.
Buy Milwaukee Bucks tickets, Green Bay Packers tickets, Wisconsin Badgers tickets and Milwaukee Brewers Tickets from a trusted source.
- ► 2012 (18)
- ► 2011 (485)
- Deadline Appears to Be Passing By
- Cleveland Sucks
- DJ Steve Porter Gives Us 'Press Hop 2'
- Bigby is Back With The Pack
- Back to Reality For Brewers, Myself
- Reunited and it Feels...
- The Other Night on Entourage...
- Crew Makes it Five in a Row
- Sweep Could Alter Trade Deadline Plans
- Am I the Only One Who Likes the MLS?
- It's The Most Wonderful Time of The Year
- Oh, Those Hideous Uniforms
- Rock is King of the Forest
- Let's All Agree That it's Over, Right?
- Uecker Back on Friday
- Don't You Look Like...
- Diener Getting Some Love
- This is Our Last Chance
- One Down, Five to Go
- Bucks Bring in Dooling
- Last Night on Entourage...
- Summer League Recap
- These Next Seven Games Are Deciding the Season
- Johnny Jolly Taking the Year Off, and Then Some
- Brewers 9, Braves 3
- Braves 2, Brewers 1
- Aaron Rodgers, Cover Man
- Bucks 0-2 in Summer League
- Hart, Braun Unremarkable in All-Star Game
- Bucks Start Summer League With Loss
- Batting Stance Guy Does the All-Stars
- Dominican Dominance Eliminates Hart in Derby
- Last Night on Entourage....
- Spain Makes History in World Cup Final
- Brewers Fooling Us With the Sweep
- Stricker Wins John Deere Classic
- World Cup Prediction: World Cup Final
- Diary of a Brewers Win
- World Cup Prediction: Third Place Game
- Party in the City Where the Heat is On
- Big Brother 12 Thoughts
- Where Do We Go From Here? (Redux)
- Where Do We Go From Here?
- World Cup Thoughts: Wednesday, July 7th
- King James is Going To........
- World Cup Prediction: Wednesday, July 7th
- Bumgarner Breezes Against Crew
- World Cup Thoughts: Tuesday, July 6th
- World Cup Prediction: Tuesday, July 6th
- Milwaukee Unable to Cash In Against Giants
- Brewers Sending Three to Midsummer Classic
- World Cup Thoughts: Saturday, July 3rd
- Salmons Is Back
- World Cup Predictions: Saturday, July 3rd
- World Cup Thoughts: Friday, July 2nd
- Here's a Brewers Box Score
- World Cup Predictions: Friday, July 2nd
- Wolf, Long Balls Help Crew Win
- Bucks Strike First
- ▼ July (59)
- ► 2009 (827)
- ► 2008 (1098)
Yardbarker - Packers
Yardbarker - Brewers
Yardbarker - Bucks
This site is not affiliated with, nor endorsed or sponsored by, the University of Wisconsin.
Visit Sunshine Sportsbook
Contact The Bucky Channel
Sports Betting - Find very competitive odds and an impressive array of live betting. Online Sports Betting