Wednesday, February 16, 2011 by Winks ·
Okay, sometimes I try to be a little too clever with these titles, and I think this is one of those times. I'm not even sure I did the math correctly, and the new Rickie Weeks deal is more of an extension than it is a signing. Plus, there are option years and other contract quirks. But let's not let my weak attempt at cleverness overshadow the fact that the Brewers took a very big step towards being contenders past 2011, as they basically locked in Weeks' services for years to come.
The deal has yet to become official, but when it does it's expected to be announced in the 5-year, $50 million range (Update: The official deal seems to be four years, $38.5 million with an option for year five). As Haudricourt explains, there is an option year that's included in the deal, and the exact specifics will be announced once Weeks takes a physical exam, but either way it sounds like a deal that I'm going to be a fan of.
The thing with baseball is, I'm pretty much a fan of any deal that locks up a young player for an extended period of time, because when there's no hard salary cap you can afford offer contracts like that more. Granted, Mark Attanasio has been much more willing to open his pocketbook than the Selig family was, so we're lucky in that sense to have an owner that is willing to pay more when needed. But Weeks is a proven stud at second base. He's had some bad luck with injuries, but in my opinion he was our best offensive player last season, and I can't imagine a Brewers team the next few years without Weeks.
While this move does lock down the second base position for years to come, it's still clear that until something gets solved with Prince Fielder then 2011 has to be the Brewers window to "go for it", as they did in 2008 with CC Sabathia. The Brewers have one of the best staffs in the NL (Central, at least), and we've always known their offense has been able to score. My gosh, I just got really excited for this season all of a sudden. Sipping Summer Shandy while eating a brat and listening to Uecker on the deck. I'm ready for that, I think.
This premier free sports picks service has sports picks & odds providing tools like; annual NFL Superbowl Odds and NCAA Football BCS Championship Odds list. They'll even golf Masters odds & even Nascar TV Schedule and info...They offer a complete March Madness Bracket Contest list...even VIP sportsbook 100% bonus codes at #1 books; 5Dimes, Bovada & even a WagerWeb 200% Bonus.
"Check us out for all your NFL betting online picks and predictions at the best online sports betting Canada and USA sportsbooks including a new Bovada review for bettors from the USA."
I highly recommend checking out NFL Predictions and out Free College Football Picks from the legendary National Sports Advisors as well as updated daily NFL Odds and College Football Odds this football season. NSAwins.com posts updated 2013 Super Bowl Futures Odds and Super Bowl Betting Props in addition to BCS Championship Odds and College Bowl Odds throughout the season. Also be sure to get Free NFL Picks and the best Sportsbook Reviews daily from NSAwins.com.
Find Bucks NBA tickets, Milwaukee Brewer game schedule and Packers NFL games. We also sell Wimbledon debenture tickets, Belmont Stakes Triple Crown packages, tickets for the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes tickets and Shane Mosley vs. Paulie Malignaggi at the Barclays Center.
Buy Milwaukee Bucks tickets, Green Bay Packers tickets, Wisconsin Badgers tickets and Milwaukee Brewers Tickets from a trusted source.
- ► 2012 (18)
- Your End of February Weekend Roundup
- An Apology to Twitter
- Marquette Keeps Tourney Hopes Alive
- Previewing the Bucks Path to the Playoffs
- Gasser Truly is Our Hero
- One Down, Twenty-Six to Go
- So What's Jason Kendall Been Up To?
- Melo To The Knicks
- Let's Practice Some Buckytology
- All-Star Weekend Recap
- Bucks Beat Clippers, But Fall To Nuggets
- Winks Thinks: The Grizz and Bear It Edition
- 260 More Weeks of Rickie
- McCarthy, Thompson Signed Through 2015
- A Season To Remember
- Marquette Can't Hold Off G-Town
- Big Game Badgers
- Bucks Tank Another Fourth Quarter
- Cannibalization of the Champion is Underway
- I Don't See Playoffs in Bucks Future
- Friday Morning YouTube Potpourri
- Pack Fan / Bears Fan (SUPER BOWL EDITION)
- Marquette/Wisconsin Squeak Out Wins
- Bucks Lay Egg in D.C.
- More Super Bowl Thoughts
- I'm Coming Home (Packers Remix)
- Trying to Switch Gears a Bit
- Dear Aaron
- Matthews Involved in WWE Smackdown Angle
- The Reward is in the Journey
- My Final Super Bowl Thought
- Brewers Finalize Deal with Kotsay
- The Bucky Channel's Super Bowl Predictions Post
- Bucks Can't Close Out Warriors
- Friday Morning YouTube Potpourri
- Road to the Super Bowl - 3 Days Away
- Suns Win 23rd Straight at Home Against Bucks
- Road to the Super Bowl - 4 Days Away
- SUPER BOWL Betting Lines
- Jennings is Back in All-Star Weekend
- Big Win For Bucky
- Road to the Super Bowl - 5 Days Away
- Media Day Dud
- Griffin Does Work on the Bucks
- ▼ February (44)
- ► 2010 (734)
- ► 2009 (827)
- ► 2008 (1098)
Yardbarker - Packers
Yardbarker - Brewers
Yardbarker - Bucks
This site is not affiliated with, nor endorsed or sponsored by, the University of Wisconsin.
Visit Sunshine Sportsbook
Contact The Bucky Channel
Sports Betting - Find very competitive odds and an impressive array of live betting. Online Sports Betting