Thursday, July 28, 2011 by Winks ·
While the Milwaukee Brewers fanbase was still trying to cope with the news that Rickie Weeks will miss a minimum of a few weeks with an ankle sprain, the Brewers team was focused on assembling a squad that could go out and sweep the Cubs at Miller Park for the first time since 2005 (I still can't believe that). Back by solid pitching as they have been all series, the Brewers were able to do just that and pick up a 4-2 win to get that sweep. It was another game where you have to give major kudos to the pitching staff, including starting pitcher Shaun Marcum who went six innings allowing two runs and striking out four. LaTroy Hawkins, Francisco Rodriguez, and John Axford paved the way to a win from there, and the Brewers take three from the Cubs in a series where they allowed just four runs.
It was good to see the Brewers come out and get a win, actually all three of these wins, as they kick off an 18-game stretch against all NL Central teams. This could be a crucial part of the schedule where they either start to pull away a bit or begin to fall back. With the Rickie Weeks injury, you'd be nervous that they might do the latter, but they'll obviously need some guys to step up in his absence. One such guy who does not appear to be ready for that role is Craig Counsell, who went 0-for-3 today and is now hitting just .150 on the season. It pains me to write those words, but even Craig Counsell knows he is garbage at the plate, you could see the "how much longer are they going to let me do this shit" look of his he had after the plate after he hit a ball directly into the ground in front of home plate and was tagged out.
Apparently not too long, as the wheels are in motion to get a guy to not only replace Rickie Weeks in the interim, but to be his backup come September. As mentioned previously, the Brewers are looking at both Rafael Furcal and Jamey Carroll of the Dodgers, but it sounds like the Dodgers aren't willing to get rid of both guys. Keep in mind, I'm not really sure what the Brewers have in terms of prospects to give away, so trading for a need is going to be that much more difficult. One move that the Brewers did make on Thursday was reacquiring Felipe Lopez from the Tampa Bay Rays organization for cash. Lopez had a stint with Milwaukee in 2009 after a previous Weeks injury, but as of now he's been assigned to Nashville. We may never even see him with the big league club, but I don't have a problem with Doug Melvin for making sure that he has options down the road.
So we'll see what happens on the trade front, but in the meantime the Brewers have some games to play, 15 straight more against NL Central clubs. As of this posting, the Brewers are a game ahead of the Cardinals and two ahead of the Pirates for the division lead. They're also 22 games ahead of the Houston Astros, the team they'll matchup against next.
Time to cut Counsell
Please please please cut Craig Counsell
Seriously, cut him
POTG: Ryan Braun (triple away from the cycle)
This premier free sports picks service has sports picks & odds providing tools like; annual NFL Superbowl Odds and NCAA Football BCS Championship Odds list. They'll even golf Masters odds & even Nascar TV Schedule and info...They offer a complete March Madness Bracket Contest list...even VIP sportsbook 100% bonus codes at #1 books; 5Dimes, Bovada & even a WagerWeb 200% Bonus.
"Check us out for all your NFL betting online picks and predictions at the best online sports betting Canada and USA sportsbooks including a new Bovada review for bettors from the USA."
I highly recommend checking out NFL Predictions and out Free College Football Picks from the legendary National Sports Advisors as well as updated daily NFL Odds and College Football Odds this football season. NSAwins.com posts updated 2013 Super Bowl Futures Odds and Super Bowl Betting Props in addition to BCS Championship Odds and College Bowl Odds throughout the season. Also be sure to get Free NFL Picks and the best Sportsbook Reviews daily from NSAwins.com.
Find Bucks NBA tickets, Milwaukee Brewer game schedule and Packers NFL games. We also sell Wimbledon debenture tickets, Belmont Stakes Triple Crown packages, tickets for the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes tickets and Shane Mosley vs. Paulie Malignaggi at the Barclays Center.
Buy Milwaukee Bucks tickets, Green Bay Packers tickets, Wisconsin Badgers tickets and Milwaukee Brewers Tickets from a trusted source.
- ► 2012 (18)
- Klinsmann Named USMNT Coach
- Brewers Start NL Central Stretch With Sweep
- Packers Cutting Dead Weight
- Bob Bradley Fired
- Brewers Need to Win Without Weeks
- Winks and Wade Chat Packers
- Brew Crew Haiku (Yes, Again)
- Packers Begin Work on 2011 Roster
- The Lockout is Over
- The NL Central Logjam Continues
- Brew Crew Haiku, It's New, For You!
- Crew Hangs On Against Cain, Giants
- I Talk WWE For 30 Minutes... Not Long Enough
- Brewers Unable to Score on Road... Again
- Diamondbacks Can't Extract Win From Saito
- Brewers Get Confused, Win Big on the Road
- NBA Releases Schedule That Won't Be Played
- Brew Crew Haiku
- You Can't Really Tell It's Me, But Whatever!
- I Am Going to Monday Night Raw, and I Love It
- Sole Possession of First, Again, For Now
- Japan Beats U.S. at Own Game
- The Kind of Win We Needed
- Pirates Take Over NL Central Race
- Let's Help Gweeds with His Question
- Back on the Wrong Track
- After 18 Holes of The Open...
- U.S. Women Keep Up Impressive Run
- And Suddenly We Get K-Rod
- All-Star Game Features Milwaukee Firsts
- Pocket Twos Still Beats a Lockout
- Brewers Fade in Home Run Derby
- Your Midseason Fantasy Baseball Update
- Can Stricker Carry Momentum into British?
- Despite the Odds, U.S. Women Prevail
- Another Craig Counsell Out, This Time FTW!
- Milwaukee Falls Apart in Extras
- Kotsay it Ain't So!
- Retro Jerseys Bring Out Another Win
- Women to Face Brazil
- Shit Just Got Real
- The Legacy of Bill Pullman
- Royal Pains Was a Pain to Watch (Hi-Yo!)
- McGehee Remembers Not to Suck For a Moment
- Deep Breath, Brewers Fans
- Alright, Now I'm a Little Pissed
- Twins Flip the Script with Comeback
- Milwaukee Trio to Start in All-Star Game
- Plush Leads Improbable Comeback
- Aaron Rodgers on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- Dominant Performance Puts U.S. in Quarterfinals
- The Losing Streak Continues
- ▼ July (52)
- ► 2010 (734)
- ► 2009 (827)
- ► 2008 (1098)
Yardbarker - Packers
Yardbarker - Brewers
Yardbarker - Bucks
This site is not affiliated with, nor endorsed or sponsored by, the University of Wisconsin.
Visit Sunshine Sportsbook
Contact The Bucky Channel
Sports Betting - Find very competitive odds and an impressive array of live betting. Online Sports Betting