Saturday, July 16, 2011 by Winks ·
It's been 14 years since the standings have looked like this at this point in the season, but lo and behold the Pittsburgh Pirates are back atop the NL Central standings. There's a couple of reasons why the standings look like this today. First, the Pirates are a quality baseball team. I've really been a fan of what that organization has been doing the last few years, and if Zach Greinke could pitch half as well as guys like Jeff Karstens and Paul Maholm the Brewers would be in much better shape. Second, the Cardinals have a terrible bullpen, as evidenced by Brandon Phillips' walk-off home run for the Reds on Saturday night to beat St. Louis and hold them back in the divisional race. Third, the NL Central is going to be topsy-turvy the rest of the way out, and while I truly believe the Brewers have the most talent and the best ballclub, they just have not been able to find a way to win on the road and it's costing them dearly.
With their 4-0 loss to the Rockies on Friday night, the Brewers have now fallen to a 16-31 road record, better than only the A's, Royals, and Orioles - all teams that are at the bottom of their divisions by the way. To even be where they are it's clear that the Brewers have played excellent at home, but you only get 81 games and Miller Park during a given season. It should be fairly obvious that the Brewers will need to pick it up on the road if they are going to make the playoffs, but with their consistent struggles I'm not sure if that fact is even clear to members of the Brewers team.
They are just a different team on the road it seems. They can't hit, as they were limited to just four base knocks on Friday against the up-and-coming Juan Nicasio. In fact, the only two guys to get hits off Nicasio where lefties - Prince Fielder and Nyjer Morgan. Their pitching seems to struggle away from Miller Park as well. Chris Narveson didn't have the worst game (6 IP, 3 ER, 5K) however on Friday, but as a whole the sample size has not been positive.
Yeah, the NL Central is a logjam right now, and probably will be for awhile. And at other times when the Brewers have struggled, their other divisional opponents have struggled even worse to keep the Brewers in the race. But with the Cardinals, Reds, and now Pirates all giving chase with a legitimate shot at this thing, the Brewers have to find a way to be the team that is going to separate themselves from the pack. They'd win this division tomorrow if they played every game in Milwaukee, but with 9 games remaining on this 11 game road trip, waiting until they get back to Milwaukee could cost them their season.
POTG: John Axford? He pitched a scoreless frame. Let's give him some recognition for this season so far.
The NL Central
Each day, there's a new leader
Reclaim it, Brewers
This premier free sports picks service has sports picks & odds providing tools like; annual NFL Superbowl Odds and NCAA Football BCS Championship Odds list. They'll even golf Masters odds & even Nascar TV Schedule and info...They offer a complete March Madness Bracket Contest list...even VIP sportsbook 100% bonus codes at #1 books; 5Dimes, Bovada & even a WagerWeb 200% Bonus.
"Check us out for all your NFL betting online picks and predictions at the best online sports betting Canada and USA sportsbooks including a new Bovada review for bettors from the USA."
I highly recommend checking out NFL Predictions and out Free College Football Picks from the legendary National Sports Advisors as well as updated daily NFL Odds and College Football Odds this football season. NSAwins.com posts updated 2013 Super Bowl Futures Odds and Super Bowl Betting Props in addition to BCS Championship Odds and College Bowl Odds throughout the season. Also be sure to get Free NFL Picks and the best Sportsbook Reviews daily from NSAwins.com.
Find Bucks NBA tickets, Milwaukee Brewer game schedule and Packers NFL games. We also sell Wimbledon debenture tickets, Belmont Stakes Triple Crown packages, tickets for the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes tickets and Shane Mosley vs. Paulie Malignaggi at the Barclays Center.
Buy Milwaukee Bucks tickets, Green Bay Packers tickets, Wisconsin Badgers tickets and Milwaukee Brewers Tickets from a trusted source.
- ► 2012 (18)
- Klinsmann Named USMNT Coach
- Brewers Start NL Central Stretch With Sweep
- Packers Cutting Dead Weight
- Bob Bradley Fired
- Brewers Need to Win Without Weeks
- Winks and Wade Chat Packers
- Brew Crew Haiku (Yes, Again)
- Packers Begin Work on 2011 Roster
- The Lockout is Over
- The NL Central Logjam Continues
- Brew Crew Haiku, It's New, For You!
- Crew Hangs On Against Cain, Giants
- I Talk WWE For 30 Minutes... Not Long Enough
- Brewers Unable to Score on Road... Again
- Diamondbacks Can't Extract Win From Saito
- Brewers Get Confused, Win Big on the Road
- NBA Releases Schedule That Won't Be Played
- Brew Crew Haiku
- You Can't Really Tell It's Me, But Whatever!
- I Am Going to Monday Night Raw, and I Love It
- Sole Possession of First, Again, For Now
- Japan Beats U.S. at Own Game
- The Kind of Win We Needed
- Pirates Take Over NL Central Race
- Let's Help Gweeds with His Question
- Back on the Wrong Track
- After 18 Holes of The Open...
- U.S. Women Keep Up Impressive Run
- And Suddenly We Get K-Rod
- All-Star Game Features Milwaukee Firsts
- Pocket Twos Still Beats a Lockout
- Brewers Fade in Home Run Derby
- Your Midseason Fantasy Baseball Update
- Can Stricker Carry Momentum into British?
- Despite the Odds, U.S. Women Prevail
- Another Craig Counsell Out, This Time FTW!
- Milwaukee Falls Apart in Extras
- Kotsay it Ain't So!
- Retro Jerseys Bring Out Another Win
- Women to Face Brazil
- Shit Just Got Real
- The Legacy of Bill Pullman
- Royal Pains Was a Pain to Watch (Hi-Yo!)
- McGehee Remembers Not to Suck For a Moment
- Deep Breath, Brewers Fans
- Alright, Now I'm a Little Pissed
- Twins Flip the Script with Comeback
- Milwaukee Trio to Start in All-Star Game
- Plush Leads Improbable Comeback
- Aaron Rodgers on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- Dominant Performance Puts U.S. in Quarterfinals
- The Losing Streak Continues
- ▼ July (52)
- ► 2010 (734)
- ► 2009 (827)
- ► 2008 (1098)
Yardbarker - Packers
Yardbarker - Brewers
Yardbarker - Bucks
This site is not affiliated with, nor endorsed or sponsored by, the University of Wisconsin.
Visit Sunshine Sportsbook
Contact The Bucky Channel
Sports Betting - Find very competitive odds and an impressive array of live betting. Online Sports Betting