For the Packers offense, it was a tale of two halves.
For their defense, it was one of their worst overall performances in a long time.
In their first true home game in more than one month, the New Orleans Saints sure did give their fans their money's worth. The Saints put up 51 points on the Packers defense, making each drive look easier than the last.
Aaron Rodgers and the Packers offense did all they could to keep up with the firepower of Drew Brees and the Saints, but came out both flat and almost shell shocked in the second half. A game that looked like it would go down to the wire quickly turned in an embarrassment for the Packers on national television.
Our friends at The Daily Drink gave out no shortage of FAIL marks this morning, and I agree with all of them. Bob Sanders and his defense, especially their tackling technique, have been put on notice. Derrick Frost is probably the worst punter in Packers history, and that includes B.J. Sander. Mike McCarthy needs to stop being so conservative in his play calling. AJ Hawk did not look up to the task.
And, in the both, Tony Kornheiser needs to just shut up already.
If the Packers don't make the playoffs this season, it will forever go down in history as "The Year They Didn't Make the Playoffs Because They Traded Brett Favre", but this shouldn't be the case. There is no reason to show a comparison of stats between Rodgers and Favre at the end of every Packers loss, it doesn't work that way. The comparisons need to stop, and they need to stop now.
Look, the Packers are a mess right now. They have been inconsistent all season. They are one of the youngest teams in the league, and they haven't been very clutch. At this point, it may even be fair to call last season a fluke. But Aaron Rodgers has played to, and even above, his level of expectation, and I think he is still in the running for a Pro Bowl nod.
The Jets, on the other hand, are not good just because of Brett Favre. Sure, he brings the "Oh my God, I'm playing with Brett Favre" mentality to the Jets players, and that is probably for the better. But the Jets also have a great offensive line, and playmakers like Leon Washington and Kris Jenkins. The Jets are a complete football team, even at quarterback, and they showed that in their victory against the Titans.
The Packers are a team in disarray, and they showed that in their loss to the Saints.
So where do they go from here? They are currently a game behind in the NFC North, behind both the Vikings and Bears. Those two teams match up on Sunday Night Football this week, and I think we have to root for the Bears in this one, if only because we still have a game on the schedule against them.
The Packers have five games left on the schedule, starting with a home game this week against Carolina. They then host Houston, fly down to Jacksonville, pay a visit to the Bears, and then end the season against the Lions. Realistically, the Packers should be able to go at least 4-1 in this stretch, if not 5-0. That is, if the Packers have it in them to be as a good of a team as I think they are.
Meanwhile, the Bears have Minnesota, Jacksonville, New Orleans, the Pack, and then Houston.
The Vikings face Chicago, Detroit, Arizona, Atlanta, and the New York Giants.
The road to the playoffs actually isn't that daunting for the Packers, if you think about it. But then again, the playoffs for the Packers basically start next week.
For the Packers offense, it was a tale of two halves.
I highly recommend checking out NFL Predictions and out Free College Football Picks from the legendary National Sports Advisors as well as updated daily NFL Odds and College Football Odds this football season. NSAwins.com posts updated 2013 Super Bowl Futures Odds and Super Bowl Betting Props in addition to BCS Championship Odds and College Bowl Odds throughout the season. Also be sure to get Free NFL Picks and the best Sportsbook Reviews daily from NSAwins.com.
- ► 2012 (18)
- ► 2011 (485)
- ► 2010 (734)
- ► 2009 (827)
- Was That the Dagger?
- Marquette Upset For First Loss of Season
- Redd Back, Bucks Still Fall
- Badgers Continue Dominance Over Panthers
- Not Enough Horse Power Against The Pistons
- NFL Picks: Week Thirteen
- The Hawks Fly Together Over Bucks
- NFL Picks: Turkey Day
- Packers Season in Jeopardy After Loss to Saints
- UConn Too Much For Badgers
- Bucks Don't Have the Magic Against Orlando
- Let's Check in on Marquette
- Badgers Advance To Paradise Jam Finals
- If CC Goes to New York, It Won't Be Because of the...
- Sports Bubbler's Trenni Kusnierek Interview
- You Know There Is Soccer On Today, Right?
- Bucks Beat Bobcats in a Snoozer
- The Badgers Beat Cal-Poly. Boo.
- Bucks Beat Seven Man Knicks Squad
- Bucky Needs OT To Beat Iona
- NFL Picks: Week Twelve
- Brewers Beat Writer Loves Him Some Trenni
- Who's Ready For a Winks Thinks?
- Bucks Lose To Jazz
- Herron Back in the League
- That 'Foul' Stench You Smell Is From Out West
- Everyone Plays Against SIU-Edwardsville
- Three Brewers Considered in NL MVP Race
- Don't Miss An All-New Bucks Special Tuesday Night ...
- Packers Do Everything Right In Win Over Bears
- Badgers Season Starts Off With A Win... Barely
- Bucks Should Be Commended in Loss to Celtics
- Badgers Semi-Clutch Against Minnesota
- Bucks Drive Past Grizz
- CC Gonna Get Paid
- Brewers Coaching Staff Complete
- College Football in For Some Changes?
- NFL Picks: Week Eleven
- Winks Thinks: The Trenni Kusnierek Edition
- Bucks 'Rise' To Occasion Against Ailing Spurs
- Cavs Have the 'Mo'Jo Tonight Versus Reddless Bucks...
- Don't You Look Like.....
- More Acknowlegement of Peterson's Helmet Removal
- Farewell, Salomon Torres
- Sabathia 5th in Cy Young Voting
- Barnett Out For The Season
- The Bucky Five: One Of The Most Painful Losses Eve...
- The Suns Too Bright For Bucks
- NFL Picks: Week Ten
- Badgers Stay Bowl-Eligible With Win Over Hoosiers
- Willie Randolph Will Be With the Brewers After All...
- Rough Second Quarter has Bucks Seeing Green
- I Say They Give It To Him
- Something I'm Glad I'm Not Dealing With
- Cameron to the Yankees?
- Farewell, Trenni Kusnierek
- Another Thinks at the Drink
- Bucks Mix It Up In Win Over Wizards
- The Best Halloween Costume Ever?
- We'll Always Remember the Titans (Game)
- The Bucky Five: Things I Missed This Weekend
- Happy Election Day, People.
- ▼ November (62)