Seven years ago, the United States put together a run and nearly found themselves in the World Cup Semi-Finals. Now, one year away from another likely World Cup appearance, the progression the U.S. has made in these last seven years seems minimal.
Thursday, June 18, 2009 by Winks ·
Sure, nobody really expected us to beat either Italy or Brazil, but that might be part of the problem. When I say nobody expected us to win, I'm including the eleven guys on the field during those games. The United States soccer team seems to be missing that sort of character that allows them to perform against the heavy hitters, and you can blame that on the players or you can blame that on the coaching. Former soccer star Alexi Lalas said on ESPN today that he thinks the problem is with the players, in that a) this team has no true leaders and b) it's just not the right collection of guys to make any sort of a run.
You can't be upset with the fact that U.S. lost to Brazil, but you can be upset with how they lost to them. Check out the highlights from ESPN (I'd put them up here, but they usually take it down after a day), and it's flat out embarrassing. The U.S. was outclassed and outplayed in every way. You might expect to be outplayed by one of the world's best, but a lot of the things that happened today were less because of what of Brazil did, but more because of how the U.S. reacted.
So the U.S. is basically already out of this Confederations Cup, that is unless Egypt can somehow pull off an upset against Italy in a game going on right now. The U.S. would then have to beat Egypt and Brazil would need to beat Italy. They'd probably have to score a ton of goals as well because of goal differential, so this thing is all but over.
The larger picture though is how will the U.S. use this experience to help them come 2010? They do have a year to figure it out, but judging by this tournament and the disappointing loss to Costa Rica a few weeks back, one year may not be enough.
Update: Wow, what a thrilling last twenty minutes of the game between Italy and Egypt. Seriously, there is nothing better than International Soccer, especially on a weekday afternoon. Egypt knocks off Italy, 1-0, in a big, but not quite major, upset. Italy had about 45 chances in the last ten minutes, but just couldn't put it past the Egyptian keeper. This means the U.S. has a chance to make the next round with a win against Egypt on Sunday, although a very small chance.
This premier free sports picks service has sports picks & odds providing tools like; annual NFL Superbowl Odds and NCAA Football BCS Championship Odds list. They'll even golf Masters odds & even Nascar TV Schedule and info...They offer a complete March Madness Bracket Contest list...even VIP sportsbook 100% bonus codes at #1 books; 5Dimes, Bovada & even a WagerWeb 200% Bonus.
"Check us out for all your NFL betting online picks and predictions at the best online sports betting Canada and USA sportsbooks including a new Bovada review for bettors from the USA."
I highly recommend checking out NFL Predictions and out Free College Football Picks from the legendary National Sports Advisors as well as updated daily NFL Odds and College Football Odds this football season. NSAwins.com posts updated 2013 Super Bowl Futures Odds and Super Bowl Betting Props in addition to BCS Championship Odds and College Bowl Odds throughout the season. Also be sure to get Free NFL Picks and the best Sportsbook Reviews daily from NSAwins.com.
Find Bucks NBA tickets, Milwaukee Brewer game schedule and Packers NFL games. We also sell Wimbledon debenture tickets, Belmont Stakes Triple Crown packages, tickets for the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes tickets and Shane Mosley vs. Paulie Malignaggi at the Barclays Center.
Buy Milwaukee Bucks tickets, Green Bay Packers tickets, Wisconsin Badgers tickets and Milwaukee Brewers Tickets from a trusted source.
- ► 2012 (18)
- ► 2011 (485)
- ► 2010 (734)
- Mike Burns > Johan Santana?
- Farewell, Best Damn Sports Show Period
- Thank You, Quevedo at the Buffet
- Hardy, McGehee Power Brewers Past Mets
- Farewell, Charlie Villanueva
- Why Did 149,288 People Vote For Bill Hall This Wee...
- Bears Apparently Out of Burress Sweepstakes
- Aaron Rodgers' Girlfriend
- Giants Blank Brewers
- Brazil 3, United States 2: What This Loss Does For...
- I'd Like to Write More, But...
- POTG: Brewers 5, Giants 1
- Jeffress Might Smoke Himself Out of Baseball
- Grizzlies to Eventually Cut Stiemsma
- Finally, A Bucks Draft I Like
- Thank God We're Done Playing the Twins This Year
- Stage is Set For a Rematch Against Brazil
- Winks Thinks: The Apology Edition
- Kendall Wins Player of the Game???
- U.S. Knocks Off a Soccer Giant
- Update: United States 2, Spain 0
- Update: Halftime
- Update: United States 1, Spain 0
- Your Friendly Reminder to Watch Soccer
- Twins Stay Perfect Against Brewers in '09
- The Bucky Channel Conversation... Greg Winkler
- Bucks Pull Off Another Trade
- Greg Jennings Gonna Get Paid
- Burns Called Back Up As Bush Heads to DL
- Farewell, Richard Jefferson
- Hall and Kendall Still Somehow All-Star Relevant
- WWE Ascends Upon Green Bay Tonight
- The U.S. Re-Defines "Sneaking In"
- Milwaukee Swept By the Tigers
- Back Playing Second Fiddle
- Brewers Lose Rain-Shortened Affair
- Tony Mandarich's Life Keeps Getting Better
- I Guess This League Is Actually Happening
- The U.S. Has a Long Way To Go
- Winks Thinks: The Pick Sticks Edition
- I Have To Have This Shirt
- Brewers Use Extra Innings to Sweep Tribe
- POTG: Brewers 7, Indians 5
- Brewers vs. Indians LIVE BLOG!!!
- Artie Lange Outdoes Brett Favre
- POTG: Brewers 14, Indians 12
- You Can't Win With Ten Guys
- Brewers Staying Steady in All-Star Voting
- Let's Not Forget About Soccer Today
- Just In Case You Care....
- Happy Birthday, Dad!
- The Lake Show Does It Again
- Brewers Close Out Disappointing Homestand
- I'm Starting to Like Lance Briggs
- The All-Former Brewers Team
- Manny Headed to Nashburg
- I Know Manny Parra is Done
- POTG: Brewers 7, White Sox 2
- Brewers Sign Top Pick Arnett
- Well No Kidding
- POTG: Rockies 5, Brewers 4
- I Think Bill Hall is Done
- Winks Thinks: The Men of Iron Edition
- What the Hell, Jorge?
- Braun Says No To "The Bachelor"
- Must Read of the Day
- Colorado Rocks Brewers in the Seventh
- Brewers Drafting From the Horse Stables
- Cameron Suspended For Two Games... Eventually
- Zack Attack Rocks Late Night
- Brewers Slipping in All-Star Voting
- Favre Undergoes Shoulder Surgery
- Farewell, UW-La Crosse Baseball and Men's Tennis
- Braves Chip Away at Parra, Brewers
- Brewers Keep Braves Scoreless Again
- Gallardo, Gamel Lead Brewers Over Braves
- Iron Pick Up First Home Victory
- Friday Night Live - Packers OTA Blogcast
- Brewers Out-Dueled by Josh Johnson
- How About a Packers Update?
- Winks Thinks, Brought to You By...
- Another Brewers Transaction
- Crew Finds Redemption Against Marlins
- Brewers Jersey Tracker
- Parra Accepts Julio's Challenge and Somehow Pitche...
- Brewers vs. Marlins LIVE BLOG
- Burns In, Julio Out
- Julio Dooms Brewers Against Marlins
- Brewers All-Star Votes Coming Back Down to Earth
- The Big Conan Debut is Tonight
- ▼ June (90)
- ► 2008 (1098)
Yardbarker - Packers
Yardbarker - Brewers
Yardbarker - Bucks
This site is not affiliated with, nor endorsed or sponsored by, the University of Wisconsin.
Visit Sunshine Sportsbook
Contact The Bucky Channel
Sports Betting - Find very competitive odds and an impressive array of live betting. Online Sports Betting